Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Up All Night (Again)

    Sometimes, a scene simply comes to life in your mind, the characters just sing their witty dialogue and they explain how the story moves forward. At those times, what’s a writer to do but get out of bed and write 2,500 words?
    Now, unfortunately, the middle-of-the-night word binge means that I am currently running on little sleep and I expect it will eventually rob me of several necessary IQ points. And since today is my first day back to work after a week and a half away, I suspect I’ll be missing those IQ points later today.
    Before I got out of bed and turned on my laptop, I debated waiting until morning to write the ideas down. But the characters were so real, and well, pushy. I knew if I didn’t write it down, I would miss that spark and any attempt to recreate the scenes later would fall flat. The price for the two scenes may be my clarity later, but it’s probably a price I’d pay again.
    Does this happen to you? What do you do? Get up and write or go back to sleep?
   

No comments:

Post a Comment