Saturday, January 28, 2012

My Old Nemesis, The Blank Screen

Don't loaf and invite inspiration; light out after it with a club. – Jack London
      I have a day with no distractions. No chores to do (that can't be ignored), no errands to run. Nobody in the house asking me where that tax document was filed or how many scoops of coffee to use in the new coffee pot.
     It's a good day to write, but I have so far managed to produce a mere 136 words.
     Yet, earlier this week, when I worked five eight-hour-plus days and had so many things on my schedule that I thought Google calendar was going to cry for mercy, I managed to get about 400 words each day. Maybe this means I shouldn't be a full-time writer, since I don't know what to do with a blank page and a blank calendar at the same time.
     Unfortunately, when looking for inspiration, I opened some old WIPs and started tinkering with those stories, which is not what I need to be doing. My resolution for this year is to complete one of the two WIPs that I made my priorities. My brain, however, is fickle and wants to flirt with other stories.
     It may be time to get away from the computer and take a walk. With my club, in case I come across inspiration.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment