Saturday, January 12, 2013

Lemon Butter Bundt Cake

   My mom used to make the most wonderful cake when I was a kid. It was a butter cake and had a sticky glaze that you poured on while the cake was still hot in the bundt pan, where it would absorb into the cake. It was wonderful and a few years ago, I found the recipe in an old cookbook my mom was about to throw away.
   But it didn't solve my problem today. I needed a recipe to use up some of the Meyer lemons from my tree. So I adapted the recipe from my childhood to make a lemon version. I must say, it was delicious. I did overcook it a bit, so I have revised my recipe accordingly.

                                                     Lemon Butter Bundt Cake

There's more where these came from, too.
 Cake Ingredients:
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1-1/2 tsp lemon extract*
  • 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup 2% milk
  • 1 tbsp grated lemon peel
Sauce
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 3 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 tsp vanilla
     In a small saucepan over low heat, combine sauce ingredients; cook just until butter melts, stirring occasionally. Do not boil.
     In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon peel.
    Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.**
    Make the sauce. With cake still in the pan, pierce the cake all over with a fork then pour the hot sauce over the warm cake. Let stand 5 minutes, or until sauce is absorbed.
    Turn out onto cake plate. Enjoy!
*  I didn’t have lemon extract, so I used 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice, and reduced the amount of milk by that amount. I also added a splash of orange extract and almond extract.
**  Check after 45 minutes. This overcooks easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment