Monday, October 24, 2011

Not Much Else Going On, Might As Well Write A Novel

    In what must be an insane delusion, I signed up for NaNoWriMo this year. I won’t be starting until my work commitment is finished, so I may only get a half a month to write a novel. I’m still not sure why this seemed like a good idea, but now that I’ve decided to do it, I need to figure out a strategy. Work on the novella trilogy that’s been hounding me? Or on the new idea that just surfaced? Or cheat completely and work on the 2/3-finished novel that I want to wrap up by the end of the year?
    I’m leaning toward the new idea – tentatively titled “Pacific Daylight Time.” If there is such a creature, I'd say it's going to be a noir romance. Now that I think of it, there is probably no such genre. But I’m going with it anyway. Since I have 48 hours before I have to dive back into work, I’m going to work on outlining so I have something to work with when I start writing in a couple weeks.
    While it’s a daunting task to commit to writing 50,000 words in a month (or fewer, since I plan to pro-rate my word count based on my schedule), I’m really looking forward to creating a new world and uncovering the story as I go. After the next couple of weeks at work, I’m going to need a vacation. I’ll just be taking it in my imagination.  

No comments:

Post a Comment