Friday, March 9, 2012

Another Anniversary

   Today is the 25th anniversary of the release of U2's album, Joshua Tree.
  Well.
  That 25 years went by fast.
  I listened to Joshua Tree today while driving home from work. It's been a while since I've really listened to it, or even heard any of the songs in passing. Immediately, I was back in high school, driving my mother's Honda and singing along to "With or Without You" and "Where the Streets Have No Name."
  There are a few songs that can transport me back in time, but this whole album (yes, kids, I said album) has that effect. This is probably because it was in my Walkman (yep, dating myself again) or in the car stereo for so much of that year. It wasn't even my first U2 album, but it was immediately my favorite and has remained so, even after (gulp) 25 years. A couple years later, I saw U2 in concert. Still, the songs remind me of the early days of the album's release, when I used my hard-earned babysitting money to buy the cassette. (Sigh. I am old.)
  Now if you'll excuse me, I have a sudden urge to call my mom and tell her that I shouldn't have to unload the dishwasher, no one in this family understands me, and why can't I have my own car. I suppose that's the downside of a flashback.

No comments:

Post a Comment