Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Resolutions - February Update

    Since it’s the last day of the month, I’m going to tally up my writing totals and report a little early. I don’t expect to get anything more written today and I’m actually fairly happy with the progress I made in the last month, even though I didn’t meet my goal of writing every day (again).
    Because of how my spreadsheet is structured, my monthly total covers January 30 through February 29. During that time, I wrote 21,574 words. This is about 100 more words than I wrote in January. It’s also nearly double how much I wrote last February. So, on that front – success!
    Yet, I only wrote on 16 days. My goal of writing daily really suffered in the last month and I’m not sure why – though work is the most likely culprit. However, when I do sit down to write, I’ve been more productive. My best day was 3,714 words, but I had several days where I wrote more than 2,500 words. I don’t know what to attribute this to, but I am listening to High Focus when I’m writing and it does seem to keep me focused and less distracted by all things shiny and internetty. 
    My other goal this year is to focus on the main WIP and the back-up novella so that one of them gets finished, hopefully soon. At this, I was a little more successful. I wrote 9,926 words on the main WIP, including an important turning point scene and a scene that sets up the ending (yay!). I wrote 3,443 words on the novella, which is the first of three books. Unfortunately, I did stray and write a couple scenes for the second in the series (6,645 words). I also had to put a couple of plot bunnies to bed by writing some notes for future projects (1,560).
    So far in 2012, that’s 42,173 words. The best part is that I’m happy with the content of those words. My critique partner gave me some great suggestions and I’ve reworked some scenes and reordered a couple others and the main WIP feels like it’s barreling toward an ending. I’m very much looking forward to writing “the end” at the end of that story. Maybe in March? Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment